Thursday, June 17, 2010

Yummy Granola

Sorry these are scary pictures, and my pan is even scarier. 

It seems like I've told everyone about my favorite breakfast; granola and yougart.
Granola is so simple because you can add or subtract things easily. The recipe calls for sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds which I don't have on hand so I substitute chopped walnuts and ground flaxseed. There's lots of things you can use, just experiment!!

It seems like I've told several people I'd get them the recipe, so here it is. 
ENJOY


Granola

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl combine:

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
3/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 Tablespoon wheat germ (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Pour over dry mixture the following:
2 Tablespoons canola oil or 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup pure maple sugar (or I use honey)

Mix everything together real well and spread onto baking sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. (The browner the granola gets (without burning) the crunchier the granola will be.)  Place on wire rack to cool.  When you take it out of the oven it will seem sticky, but as it cools it will become more crisp. 

Once it completely cooled you can add the following variety of dried fruits:

Cherries
Cranberries
Raisins
Apricots

Let me know if anybody tries it and what you think. :)

1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I have been meaning to get it from you for a long time. I know that Dad and I would love something like this right now! Where do you get your raw pumpkin seeds? I have never bought them. I love you and this blog!

    ReplyDelete